Celia Hall – MNZAC
I have been counselling in New Zealand since 1990, including working for two prominent NGO organisations in Whangarei and am now in private practice. I trained in Family Therapy and other psychodynamic models, while working as a psychiatric nurse in the UK. I have continued to train in many other modalities while in NZ including latest training in the trauma field.
I have a mind/body/spirit approach to counselling and have trained in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction techniques that are proven to be effective in dealing with anxiety, depression, stress and impact of trauma. I practice Mindfulness as a way of life.
I also facilitate workshops in Mindfulness, and also creativity – ‘Awakening the Artist Within’ (A mindfulness approach to activating creativity). I have a BA hons degree in Fine Arts (obtained while in UK), and continue as a practising artist.
1996 – Present Full member of The New Zealand Association of Counsellors – MNZAC
Since 1996 I’m a member of The New Zealand Association of Counsellors – MNZAC which ensures that I practice in accordance to a strict code of ethics. Competency is ensured through continued and regular Professional Development.
- 1995 Certificate in Supervision WELTECH (formerly CIT)
- 1976 BA Hons in Fine Arts Ravensbourne College of Art and Design, London
- 1971 State Registered Nurse (SRN) Kings College Hospital, London
- 1968 Registered Mental Nurse (RMN) St Bernard’s Psychiatric Hospital, Middlesex, UK
Relevant Professional Development
- 2012 Cultural Competency training – 2 days Glenbervie Marae. Whangarei. Rewiring the Brain – Evidenced-Based Treatment John Arden.
- 2011 Mentalisation Based Therapy – Eia Asen, pre Family Therapy conference workshop, Wellington.
- 2009 International Sandplay Therapy Conference Kyoto, Japan
- 2008 Psychology and Spirituality Conference Delhi, India
- 2007 International Sandplay Therapy Conference Cambridge, England
- 2006 Sandplay Therapy Training (week-long intensive) Ruth Amman, (President of International Sandplay Therapy Association), Brisbane,
- 2005 Working with Post Traumatic Stress Disorders, 4 day workshop. Babette Rothchild. Auckland
- 2003 Bioenergetics Training – Eleanor Green Wellington
- 2002 Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction – 7 day training – James Comardy, Coromandel
- 1990 – present day Various Narrative Therapy workshops David Epston and Jonella Bird. Various workshops, Attachment disordered hildren, and on-going clinical supervision. Judith Morris.
- 1990 – present day Various other workshops in supervision Various providers
- Member of peer supervision group using Narrative Reflective team approach
- Member of Psychology Interest Group over 20 years
A family therapist, and counsellor, trained in psychodynamic and Family Therapy techniques and
qualified with a BA Hons. in Fine Arts. Also trained in various creative therapies in London. A continued interest and trained in various modalities including the work of Carl Jung.
Career highlights are:
- Working with traumatised families including adults, children and adolescents spanning over a 40 year career path both in UK and New Zealand.
- Have a specific interest in the creative therapy field with related training in Bioenergetics which enhances my practice, in particular the work with traumatised children. Facilitated workshops exploring these concepts through art and movement.
- Working with a multidisciplinary team, training in family therapy, in both an in-patient and family day-unit settings. This has been core experience and training for current work with families.
- A hospital Play Therapist for over 3 years, working with children to cope with the trauma of hospitalization, a new position which I developed over this time.
Relevant Employment overview
- 2013 – Current Private Practice
- 1994 – 2013 Family Therapist Jigsawnorth
- 1998 – Current Clinical Supervisor Self employed
- 1990 – 1994 Family Therapist Genesis Centre, Whangarei
- 1986 – 1989 Play Therapist Whangarei Base Hospital
- 1976 – 1983 Psychiatric Nurse Therapist Marlborough Hospital, London
- 1971 – 1972 Staff Nurse (Unit for traumatised children) St Thomas’s Hospital, London
- Accomplished family therapist and experienced counsellor in assessment and treatment of trauma.
- An in-depth understanding of psychodynamic models including Bioenergetics and the ability to integrate this through my years of experience working with family systems models.
- The ability to integrate the knowledge of the latest research in neuroscience in working with individuals and families in trauma effectively.
- My own practice of mindfulness based meditation techniques which I also teach in Mindfulness Based Stressed Reduction (MBSR) workshops and individually with clients.
- Trained in Sandplay Therapy techniques, particularly in relation to the healing of traumatised children. This is a proven technique which helps children, adolescents and adults process trauma.
- A long history of working with people of diversity, including both one-on-one and in group settings. Understanding bi-cultural practices, and being aware of the need for cultural sensitivity and safety.
- I have had over 15 years experience of Family Court work while employed at Jigsaw.
- My specialist areas are Family Therapy, working with intergenerational trauma in families and individuals and it’s impact on parenting, particularly in the area of child attachment.
- All the current research in the neuroscience field and its relation to bodywork, enriches the work that I do, and embraces all my training and experiences as yoga teacher and artist, mindfulness practitioner and creative therapies.
Other online profiles:
82 Handforth Street, 0110 Whangarei
Address PO Box 2333, Onerahi, Whangarei
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or if you would like to make an appointment.
MNZAC, Counsellor, Registered with NZAC